Do you read popular mom blogs and wonder how the bloggers are able to run a successful blog while parenting small children? Are you frustrated because you can’t find time to devote to your blog while simultaneously being a present, attentive parent to your children?
The truth is, blogging with small children at home is always a juggling act. Even for the popular bloggers who seem to have it all together. Here are some ways that bloggers with small children make time to blog during their busy days:
Ways Bloggers With Small Children Find Time and Energy to Blog
- Work while the kiddos are sleeping. Many bloggers use naptime, early morning hours, or late evening hours to do their blogging work. This can be a great solution if your children have a fairly consistent sleep schedule.
- Spend focused time with the kids first. On days when bloggers know they have a deadline to meet, or have a lot of work to do, they start out by spending time with their children. That way, the kids’ needs are met, and they don’t feel neglected later in the day when their parents have to work.
- Swap childcare with a friend. If you have a trusted friend you could swap childcare with, this could be a good solution for days when you need some quiet time to work. Your friend can entertain the kids for a few hours, and then you can reciprocate. It’s a win-win for everyone – especially if the kids enjoy playing together.
- Hire a mother’s helper. Middle school or young high-schoolers make great mother’s helpers. They can play with the kids while you get work done in the house. Sometimes mother’s helpers can become great babysitters once they’re older.
- Have your partner watch the kids for a longer stretch on the weekends. Make plans ahead of time to go to the library or a coffee shop, and work for a long stretch of time. Sometimes doing tasks in larger batches is easier and more productive. If you have a big chunk of uninterrupted time, you can work in bulk and get a lot done.
- Unplug. To get a lot of writing done at once, many bloggers completely disconnect their computers from the Internet, and just write. Without the distractions of social media notifications, new emails, and fun blogs to read, it’s much easier to be productive.
- Plan work time to make the most of it. Before you begin a work session, make a list of everything you want to accomplish. Stick to your list. This will keep you from getting sidetracked, and will help you make sure you get your most-important tasks done.
- Find ways to cut back on other responsibilities. Brainstorm ideas to cut down on time spent driving, shopping, and even cooking. Sometimes some well-planned freezer meals and crockpot cooking can open up a lot of time in your week.
- Make sure your needs are being met. Are you getting rest, eating healthy, and getting exercise. Spending more time exercising or sleeping can cut back on the hours you have available to work, but it makes you more productive, clear-minded, and focused when you do have time to work.
- If you need to cut back, do it. Post less frequently, don’t spend as much time on one of your social media channels, and ask for guest posts. If blogging is taking over your life, it’s okay to take a step back and slow things down.
Blogging while raising small children can be cone, but it takes a lot of juggling, flexibility, and patience.
What tips do you have for bloggers with small children?
Share in the comments below!