If you’re blogging for profit, marketing your blog should be high on your list of things to do. When you think marketing, think advertising (I recently posted about some free advertising tips). What is your plan to get the word out about your blog? Creating a Marketing plan and schedule for your blog is essential as you look to increase your traffic and readership.
If you haven’t considered Guest Blogging as a part of your blog marketing strategy, you’re missing out on a great (and free!) way to gain exposure for your blog.
Jump Start Your Guest Blogging Potential
Planning out a marketing schedule is essential to keep new blood and more traffic coming to your blog. You should be doing activities weekly to help with this. Guest blogging is one of those activities that you can take part in to bring in more targeted traffic to your blog.
Why Guest Blog?
- Get more exposure. Guest blogging is writing a post for another blog owner to publish on their blog. This is becoming one of the more popular ways to market a blog, website or product. Why? Because with guest blogging, when you write a blog post on a particular topic for another blog in your niche, you will be connecting with others in your target market and getting some good exposure.
- Let your personality shine. Another reason guest blogging is beneficial is because readers get to know you a little by reading your post. They may find they relate to you and like how you think. As a result, it’s very possible they will click through a link that you have included in your post and see what else you have to offer. You may gain new subscribers, blog readers and customers by guest blogging.
- Improve your SEO. Another good benefit from guest blogging is that you will get a one-way link back to your website or blog. It will be a quality link as long as you are guest blogging on a quality blog. That will help you with search engine rankings.
How To Find Blogs to Write For
- Do a Google search. Go to Google, type in “your niche + write for us,” “your niche + guest blog” or “your niche + guest post.” That will bring you to blogs within your niche that are either looking for people to write blog posts for them, or that have allowed it in the past. Even if they aren’t’ actively looking for guest bloggers when you get into their blog, write and ask them if they would be open to you writing a post for them on XYZ. It’s good to approach them with an idea for a post so they know what you would like to write about. You can also give them a link to your blog so they can see what your writing is like.
- Check out Blogelina’s Guest Blogging Connection. Link to your blog if you’re looking for guest posts to publish or looking to write for other blogs.
- Approach some blog owners that you know (if they are related to your niche) and ask about a blog post swap, meaning you write a post for them, and they write one for you. Everyone wins.
If you frequent certain blogs and leave helpful comments, that could also be an “in road.” Approach the owner and ask about writing a post. If they have enjoyed your comments, many times they will say yes.
Organization is the Key to Success
- Try to line up a guest post opportunity each week. Setting a goal is the first step to achieving success!
- Schedule your guest posts in advance and keep a calendar (either online or offline), stating which blog you will be writing for and the topic. Make sure your post is in the blog owner’s inbox in time for them to read it over and ask for changes if necessary. Ask them when they would like the post submitted by, and then do it! If you do a good job, you may be invited back to do more guest blogging, which can give you even more good exposure.
- Make sure as you are scheduling guest blog posts, that you don’t plan too many in one week. You want to do your best on each post and get them in on time. So plan according to what you can do well.
Guest blogging is a free, effective way to market your own blog, so take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.