I was looking around at some blogs to see what things I liked and disliked about them. There is no doubt that there are things that attract people and there are things that totally turn people off.
I have made a list of 12 tips that can help make your blog more successful. Most of them are simple but quite effective at making your site more user friendly.
Make Your Blog More Successful
1. Make your site simple – With all of the bells and whistles available, too many people are trying to see how impressive they can make their websites. They may be attractive but unless your goal is to win a contest for best site, impressing people with glitter will not make sales.
2. Make sure your blog loads quickly – You do not have long to grab your reader’s attention. Make sure that you at least get a fair shot at grabbing his attention. If your site takes too long to load, you will lose a lot of potential readers without even giving your blog a chance.
3. Don’t have too many items on one page – You do not want to confuse your visitors. You want to make sure that they understand the purpose of your blog. Too many items on one page can make this difficult for some. Don’t take the chance. Make all of your pages simple.
4. Make sure every page links to your home page – It is much easier for your visitors to navigate if all of your pages link back to the home page. You will not lose as many potential customers if you make your site easier to navigate.
5. Get your own domain name – Free servers are great for some things but trying to gain credibility in the blogging world is not one of them. It is well worth the price to get your own domain.
6. Make sure your hosting service offers full support – Make sure your web hosting service offers the things you need before you choose. Choosing the best web host now can save a lot of headaches down the road.
7. Offer as many options for following as possible – The more options you provide for getting updates from your blog, the fewer readers you will lose. Offering the minimum options to follow by Twitter, Facebook, RSS, or Google+ can increase the number who will actually follow you.
8. Offer free information on your site – You will want to offer some type of free material on your site. Free material such as courses are a very good way to build yourself as an expert in the eyes of your visitor. Free ebooks are another good thing to offer. Make sure these freebies are good solid information that can help your visitors – then offer them to those who sign up for your mailing list.
9. Get your visitor’s email address – You can accomplish this in quite a few different ways. Giving away the courses or ebooks is one great way. You can publish a newsletter or ezine that your visitors can sign up for on your site.
10. Make sure to build your blog with purpose in mind – If you are trying to sell a product on your site, then sell that product. If you are trying to get addresses and make the sale later, perhaps using affiliate marketing, then make that your purpose when building your blog.
11. Encourage feedback – Make your visitor feel like his opinion is important. Offer him the chance to provide you with feedback via comments or polls posted on your blog. Don’t be too proud to make changes if you start hearing some of the same things from your readers.
12. Remember that you are building this blog for your readers – This is not a site to fulfill some fantasy of yours. Remember the purpose of your blog. Keep your readers’ wants and needs in your mind as you design it.
Your blog design and functionality is one of those things that will determine if you are a marketing success. Make sure that you make it user friendly. Also make sure that you don’t lose sight of the purpose of your site. If your blog does not come across directly to your visitor, you are going to lose many visitors before they even really see your content.
What blog elements do you like and dislike?
Please share your opinion in the comments below!