If you’ve been in the blogging world long, you’ve heard about how important it is to start and build an email list for your blog. With all the information coming at you as a new blogger, though, it can get overwhelming trying to decide WHY email marketing is so important and IF it’s the best thing for you and your blog, right now.
Today, we’ll be doing our best to answer those questions for you.
Email Marketing Vs. Social Media: Which is Best For Your Blog?
Robert Bly is a legendary B2B copywriter. He uses social media in his marketing efforts, but just to build his email list. It is his belief that email marketing trumps social media as far as sales and profit generation are concerned.
Social media is great for building relationships.
It is not so great for driving revenue. People want to be engaged and entertained on Facebook and Twitter. They are not there to be sold to. So if your social media efforts are going to be successful building your business, you have to give away a lot of great content, solve problems and answer questions.
Reasons Your Blog Needs An Email List
- With email, you have a one-to-one conversation. Yes, autoresponders make it easy to send an email to thousands of people at once. But each one of those list members feels that you are talking to them individually. This is a very intimate setting, and why email marketing works so well to generate sales.
- More people have email. There are 3 times as many email accounts as there are Twitter and Facebook users … combined! Believe it or not, not everyone is on all of the big social networks. But do you know anyone who does not have an email address?
- Everyone checks their email. You should also consider this. Every web search made on every search engine every single day is just a drop in the bucket compared to email traffic. All web searches made on any platform in a single day equal just 1/100 of daily email traffic. People check their email inboxes, but they may or may not be surfing around on social networks.
- Email feels more personal. Email is also personal and sales oriented. Studies continue to show that consumers prefer email as a way for a company to talk to them, especially over social network interaction. Email also gets more attention from your customers and prospects than any social media.
- People pay attention to their email. Your prospects and leads, customers and clients probably spend a lot more time on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest than they do checking email. However, you may or may not grab their attention on crowded social media channels. You have their attention 100% in their in-box, when they allow you to market to them.
If all you are trying to do is build relationships and goodwill, social media is perfect for that. If you expect your business to grow and profit, email marketing is far and away the preferred channel. With an average return on investment of $43 for every $1 spent, email marketing is the hands-down marketing winner for most businesses.
When Should You Start Your List?
As soon as possible!
Even if your blog is just getting started, if you’re putting all that work into getting traffic to your blog, it’s important for people to have a way to subscribe and get updates from you in the future. If someone comes to your blog to check out your amazing post – even if it’s just the 5th post you’ve every published – and they LOVE it, give them a way to hear more from you in the future! An email list is the BEST way to do that.
Wondering about the tech side of setting up an email list? It’s not as hard as you might think! ConstantContact makes it super simple to build your list with great step-by-step instructons.
So, What’s Holding You Back?
Have you started your email list yet? Share about it in the comments! Haven’t started yet? What’s holding you back? Let us know in the comments and we’ll see what we can do to help!