One of the most important aspects of having an active blog is building your email list. You want almost everyone who visits your blog to feel compelled to sign up for your email list. The best way to accomplish this is to provide excellent, varied, regular and targeted content. Plus, ask them to sign up directly.
Excellent Content —
For content to be excellent it has to be well-written, and targeted to a particular audience. Everything on your site needs to be accurate and above average from the normal site content such as your about page, to the rest of the content you put on your page from a blog post to articles, to images and more.
- Tip: Get it edited, or hire a writer or two, then you edit it. No one can write perfect content without editing.
Varied Content —
If you put up the same form and type of content every week, people will get bored. Mix it up a bit and use slideshows, podcasts, video casts, eBooks, PDF downloads, apps and more. Your audience will be more excited to check out your content if they’re not sure what type it will be as long as it’s relevant to them.
- Tip: You can reuse content in one form and transfer it to the new form. A blog post can become a podcast, can become a video cast, and can become an infographic.
- For Example: Round up colleagues and friends to do a weekly blog that involves others by getting them to answer a question each week as experts. They’ll promote your blog to their list, plus they’ll get a nice link and recognition as an expert on your blog. Eventually you could combine all the information gathered from the experts into a book.
Regular Content —
If you aren’t going to focus on putting up content on a regular basis, focus on at least 20 blog posts a month. According to Hubspot, that’s the sweet spot that bloggers report getting the most traffic. By doing so, you’re going to get the bang for your buck you’re hoping to achieve. Shoot for at minimum 20 blog posts a month and you will reap the rewards with a bigger email list and higher targeted traffic that is ready to purchase from you.
- Tip: To be sure you have plenty of regular content, brainstorm in advance using a calendar so you know what you need before you sit down to write it or hire a writer.
Call To Action —
Never forget your call to action. If you want people to sign up for your email list, you need to ask them. Your email list is the lifeblood of your business. If you build a targeted list you can give yourself a raise whenever you want to by promoting a sale, promoting your new blog posts, and getting your audience involved in product creation. The key is to ask them to do what you want them to do.
- Tip: Make it a habit after every blog, podcast, video cast, and so forth to remind users of your newsletter and your other offerings. If they read all the way to the bottom, or listened all the way to the end, then they’re going to want to know more.
Using your blog to build your email list is one of the easiest ways to get action and a good return on investment from your blog. Fill your blog with useful, original, credible and friendly blogs that speak directly to your audience and you’ll discover that being a rock star blogger is profitable and fun.
Do You Have An Email List For Your Blog?
We recommend Mad Mimi for setting up and managing your email list!