So, you’re wanting to start a blog, eh? Congratulations – you’re about to start out on a fun journey!
An important first question to ask yourself is: Do I want to blog for profit or for fun? How you answer that question will determine how you will answer many of the questions to follow. For this blog series, I’ll be assuming that you are wanting to blog for profit.
Another important thing to consider when planning for your blog is what you will be writing about. What will your blog’s topic be? Who will be your target reader?
To be successful, your blog will need to have focus for its content. This is where finding your blog’s niche comes in. To define a niche for your blog, you need to consider what your blog’s topic will be and who will be your target audience.
Here are some things to consider when deciding on your blog’s topic:
- What are you passionate about? This is the most important question to ask when deciding what your blog niche will be. If you’re not excited about your topic, inspiration will be a hard thing to come by when it comes time to write – and having to write often – for your blog.
- What is something that you know quite a bit about?
- What is something that you are willing to do a lot of research on in order to be able to write about it?
- Is there an interest in this topic? Here you’ll need to be a little careful. If one of your goals for blogging involves earning an income, it will be tempting to try to focus your blog niche on something that is popular with others. Certainly you will need to take the potential popularity of your blog topic into consideration. But, you need to remember that you are going to be the one coming up with your blog’s content each day. So, you need to have the expertise and the passion to be able to do that!
Now that you have an idea of what topic you will write about, let’s define your target audience:
- What need will your blog meet?
- Who is likely to have the need you are meeting?
- How will you reach your potential reader?
- How will you keep them interested and coming back to your blog?